Kate's Reviews > Watchmen

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Feb 25, 2009

bookshelves: 1age-adult, 2format-graphic-novel
Read in February, 2009

What would the world be like if instead of superheroes being 2-dimensional characters in comic books they were real people? How would that change history? What if we had superheroes in WWII? What about Vietnam and Korea? Would we have won the wars? Watchmen is the answer to these questions. The streets of America's cities are protected by masked adventurers who fight (mostly) for truth and justice (or a modeling contract). Unlike the perfect superheroes of current lore these people are plagued by the depression brought on by experiencing the dark underbelly of society everyday. In 1977, superheroes that were not employed by the government were outlawed and have since gone into forced retirement. But in 1985 the brink of nuclear world war and a series of masked adventurer murders have them hopping back into their tights and airships.

I read this a long time ago in middle school and didn't grasp the significance of this book. I am now totally in love with it in a way I never could have been before. I would recommend this only for the serious reader, one who reads more than the bubble gum manga that was my fodder in middle school. This isn't just a great graphic novel, it is a great novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchmen.