Noe Crockett 's Reviews > Galápagos

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Feb 23, 2009

it was ok
Read in February, 2009

I kept going back and forth between rating this book two or three stars. I finally went with two stars because it was a doggie snuff novel and I have no patience for those. (OK, so it was only ONE dog, but still, completely unneccessary.)

This was my first Vonnegut book (I finally read him because so many friends recommended him) and one thing I have to hand him is that he is a truly gifted writer. I read through this book in about a day and a half, it has such a great flow to it and really beautiful writing. But the book kind of reminded me of those suspense movies where you have no idea what is going on in the beginning and as the movie proceeds, more and more pieces of the puzzle come together. Just when you think you know what's going on, they throw you a curveball right at the end. Except there was no curveball. The ending felt anticlimatic to me.

The story is this: World War III breaks out in 1985 and what is left of humanity is shipwrecked on one of the Galapagos Islands. The story is told the ghost of a shipbuilder a million years later. There is much discussion about evolution and too-big brains (AKA the crazy things people do in today's day and age with perhaps too much time and not enough to do). Like I said, interesting, but not too exciting.

In spite of my lackluster experience with Galapagos, and because of the great writing style of Vonnegut, I plan to give him another go. But I'm going to try one of his earlier novels, like Slaughterhouse Five or Cat's Cradle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galápagos.

02/24/2009 page 94