Tama Wise's Reviews > Ubik

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

Feb 23, 09

Read in February, 2009

I picked this up on a wim. Hell, it's Phillip K Dick and he's done more than good by me lately with Man in the High Castle and Do Androids Dream. He has a great way of dumping you into the bizarre, yet a few chapters in you are happily riding along, ok with the slang and the weirdness.

This one would make a great film, but I bet they would hash it up.

A very cool first half of the book unfortunately (for me at least) boiled down into a bit of a let down of the eventual answer. The last quarter twists and turns more than a dancer, and some of the twists didn't grab my like they aughta. I guess the story and the main character was so deep in the weirdness I was a little lost myself and not caring as much as I could.

Still, very recommended. And listed somewhere I read as one of the Top 100 books in the english language (Guardian I think). It did have one scene where an anti-precog demonstrated her powers that made me just think 'damn, that was so cool!'. A real sit up and take notice moment in a book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ubik.

Brian Michel Gondry is adapting this as a film. he's probably the only director i can imagine not botching it.