Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > The Emperor's Conspiracy

The Emperor's Conspiracy by Michelle Diener

Dec 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, europe, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in December, 2012

"The Emperor's Conspiracy" is the story of Charlotte "Charlie" Raven, who goes from lowly chimney sweep to full-fledged society lady and her difficulty with having her toes in both of the worlds she is so familiar with. On one hand, she still remembers what it was like to be a child forced to work but still loving that world and the people that she knew in it but those very people could get her deeply into trouble. On the other hand, she absolutely relishes her position as a rich and educated woman of high society. She is constantly wondering whether or not she will ever be able to reconcile those two worlds. Through this book, it is clear that she will try her hardest in order to do so.

I really liked the conflicts that Charlotte faced between both the world of the workers and the world of the rich. While many of us will probably never have to choose between such different worlds, I think some of us can understand the struggle that Charlie faces. It can be hard to figure out where you belong and who you should be when you have so many different choices, so many different paths that you can choose. It was interesting to see how Charlie deals with all of that.

This book is filled with great historical detail of a gritty time in England's history. There is even a little dash of romance, which I really enjoyed. On top of that, there is a bit of mystery too! This book takes place in a changing time in England's history. All the gold is disappearing from the country's coffers. Because of Charlie's unique position of knowing both the rich and the poor world is in the perfect position to help figure out what is happening.

Although Charlie is a totally fictional character, Historical Fiction lovers will find so much to love about this book. The author did a great job of bringing the reader into Charlie's world. There is a lot of great detail that I could picture exactly what everything looked like in London at that time.

Bottom line: A great historical read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Conspiracy.