Sherie's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Mar 10, 09

Read in March, 2009

The title says that A.J. Jacobs is an humble man and after reading his book, I am convinced that he did not lie (that, lying, is covered in the book), and further I am convinced that if I ever had the honor of meeting Mr. Jacobs, I would like him.
The book was, at times, hilarious, touching, and spot on about the difficulties one faces in living life as a good person, not to mention trying to follow every directive the Bible puts forth.
Mr. Jacobs is reflective enough to move away from his firm agnostic beliefs and embrace some of what he reads. He sites C.S. Lewis as a point of reference when he speaks about being good just for goodness sake. He realizes that being good without firmly adhering to the tenets of the Bible, can in fact, make one good and lead to more contempletive reflections about one's path in life.
He seeks help in his year-long quest from many sources. The pastor out to pasture, tells him at one point that life is not necessarily about rights, but about responsibilities. Not that one should surrender one's rights, but responsibilities which go along with any rights are often overlooked.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.