cindy's Reviews > My Name is Red

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Feb 23, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: cf-crime-fiction, about-living, org-middle-east, favorites
Read in April, 2009

I never knew a lot of things could be dig and write from the noose of a horse, not to mention it is a picture of a noose of a horse ;)

But seriously, this book discuss a pretty heavy subject, which is the imaging of God's living creature. It is serious, because within it, we can see not just the very different style between eastern miniaturists, and western artists and painters, but also a difference between religions and how people praise God. If an artist paint a picture of a horse, time and time again, again and again, until he can paint it with his eyes closed, did he omit the uniqueness of the horse, or because he try to paint it from God's vision. If the artist paint a very detailed painting of a horse so the viewer can pick that one horse from a thousand horses, did he insulting God by try to copy His work, or that is the way he praising God, by capturing the individuality of each of His creature.

That was also the background of a murder of an miniaturist in Istanbul, Turkey in 1591 on this book. The story is write in a lot of point of view, not just people like Black - the main protagonist, Shekure, Black's Uncle, Butterfly, etc, but also including a corpse, a dog, a gold coin, satan, the color Red and the horse in a painting.

It is not a light weight reading material (I had to confess, I thought it was better than cough medicine, it often put me asleep after just reading 2 or 3 pages, lol), but it was a good book. Really good book! The murder story and a detailed background history were absolute beauty (not to mention how he bluntly describe the hypocrisy way of living on that era). Well.... it just not my kind of book, three stars from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Red.

03/20/2009 page 105
14.46% "Waduh...buku ini kok efeknya lbh kuat dr obat batuk ya...dibaca 3 lbr...ketiduran...bsknya 5 lbr, ketiduran lg...dst... ;p kpn bs bc snow??!"