Sheila's Reviews > The Devil's Crescent

2039269
Feb 24, 09

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read in February, 2009

I’ve decided one disadvantage of reading on a computer is that I read too fast. And because I’m lazy, I don’t bother going back to check when I’m not sure what’s just happened. But “The Devil’s Crescent” was an enjoyable quick read. The small Texas town of Hollow Gap was peopled with interesting characters, and I felt like I’d come to know them by the end of the book. From headstrong Maggie, boldly going where she ought to know better, to schoolteacher Cora, safe and sensible and deeply in love; from strange Will to the Winslow boy; from sheriff to Mexican bounty-hunter; they all come together in a well-realized and well-described small town, on the edge of disaster.

The occasional unsettled feeling of having just heard something before, or having missed something important, didn’t detract from the read. After all; life’s like that. And Maggie’s good fortune was easily explained by Diego’s good wit. I loved the conversations and the characterizations in the novel, and my only complaint would be that I’d like to meet the characters again and learn more of their stories. Will the Winslow boy marry the girl who’s sweet on him? Will the Indians live in peace? Will Diego’s father ever come to visit?

"The Devil’s Crescent" is a fine romantic story, with well-drawn characters, interesting location, and authentic historical setting. It reminded me of the Westerns I used to enjoy on TV as a kid, and it left me contented and ready to face the problems of my own day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Crescent.