Amory's Reviews > Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men

Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft

2061973
Jun 19, 2015

Read in January, 2008

this book is SO GOOD. Bancroft describes the abuser mentality in a way that demystifies the cycle of abuse for survivors. As someone who works with survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, as well as a survivor myself, I recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand and end abusive relationship patterns.

This book also helped me understand and demystify colonial dynamics-- read Said's description of the construction of the Orientalist on the fictional body of the "Orient" and/ or "Oriental"; or Fanon's statement in Black Skin, White Masks: "The feeling of inferiority of the colonized is the correlative to the European’s feeling of superiority. Let us have the courage to say it outright: It is the racist who creates his inferior.” Something else I took away from it (after reading it with Said) is how it helps articulate/ reveal patriarchal processes of gendering.

This book is EXCELLENT and I have given copies to numerous friends striving to understand hierarchical power dynamics. Its title is offputtingly heterosexist, but Bancroft describes his use of male/ female pronouns throughout the book in his introduction, addressing the fact that just as patriarchy and sexual violence privilege male-assigned people, in his experience male-assigned people perpetrate much more of that kind of abuse, especially toward female-assigned people in heterosexual relationships.

This book's gender politics could be more radical and inclusive but at the same time does a great job of addressing the role of hierarchical violence in enforcing binary gender roles within a heteropatriarchal system.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Does He Do That?.

02/17 marked as: read

Mynnia Thank you for the recommendation! Interesting, how a book about private abuse connects to colonial topics, but not too surprising, since the division into "private" and "public/political" is a very white and colonial idea.