Jane's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Feb 22, 09

Read in February, 2009

Holly Black, whoever she is, states on the cover that this is "Funny, dark, and sexy. One of my favorite books." Perhaps I could direct her to a broader variety of reading material. . the plotline has potential, but it is horribly bogged down by long and cumbersome dialogs that serve to fill in the hopelessly mired reader on every tedious detail of Warlocks, Downworlders, Shadowhunters, various and sundry weapons and spells - must I go on? And frankly, this author simply cannot construct a satisfying sentence. On the bright side, it is written in the third person, instead of that typically awful teen first person I've been wallowing in lately.
To be honest, I haven't finished this book. 252 pages into this 485-page doorstop, and I got tired of waiting for the "funny, dark, sexy" part. And what's with all these book covers with headless bodies on them? Have I missed another trend?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Now that Fabio has retired from doing bookcovers, they're going to have to just have the headless guys. No one can complete with his golden tresses.
And btw... I've noticed another trend. Lately you have a propensity for reading 1 star books, that you don't finish. I think you're just trying to pump up your numbers of books read!
Erin

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed I love your reviews and find them dark, funny, and ...well, no doubt better than the books you've been reviewing!!

message 3: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane My new philosophy: Life is too short to read crap.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Yes! And that's why I've always relied on you,my friend, to tell me the good stuff. :0) I just reread Peace Like a River the other day... Thanks!

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed And now, Jane...the book 2666 by Roberto Bolano awaits. ;-)

Synesthesia The covers do look rather shiny... I will not get sucked into another pretty cover. I'm trying to resist the next part of this series but the cover looks cool and it's called Clockwork Angel
Which is a great title as I like clockwork stuff. But this series is ANNOYING ME.
Especially Jace.
Because he's a jerk.
Also Hush Hush had that same nice cover annoying book syndrome. The old adage holds true.