Chana's Reviews > The Widow of the South

The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks

Mar 05, 09

bookshelves: fiction-southern, historical-fiction, memoirs-and-biographies, civil-war, favorites
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I am in awe of what this woman, Carrie McGavock, the woman called the Widow of the South, did for nearly 1,500 Confederate soldiers killed in the Battle of Franklin. She nursed a lot of them while they were dying, and saw them reburied on her own land when the field they were buried in was to be plowed. She named and kept records for every one and wrote to families about their lost loved ones. The cemetery that she made for them still exists and is kept up by The United Daughters of the Confederacy. She gave a gift to the men and boys, the families and the people of the South that just can't be measured for it's importance. I think that the respect that we give our dead is part of what makes us human beings. In my mind the importance of the burials just can't be overstated. And I believe she was able to help repair her own soul which had been damaged by the deaths of her children by giving to all those boys burial and remembrance. She returned dignity to people who had lost near everything. I was very moved by the book, thought the writing did good justice to the phenomenal heartbreak of the subject and brought respect and honor to all those who fought on either side.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widow of the South.

02/27/2009 page 197