Chelsea's Reviews > Here If You Need Me: A True Story

Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrup

Aug 25, 07

bookshelves: maine, memoir, own, 2007
Read in August, 2007

I don't know quite what to say about this book other than: GOOD. I was trying to explain this to a coworker, and they gave me the "sure, right, uh-huh" look. It hits one of my fiction kinks, what with all the heroic actions undertaken by real people who care about the people they're trying to help. But it's better, because it's real.

Within the first thirty pages or so, I had cried at least twice, but had laughed out loud considerably more. She comes across as incredibly genuine; the loss of her husband and her determination to continue with her life was present but was not forced on me. She didn't force a strong narrative, either, which I appreciate in a memoir; there are very few periods in someone's life that can be told mostly sequentially and create a complete story with a defined ending. Her story doesn't have an ending yet, so she doesn't really give it one. Wonderful.

She's a quasi-local author, and I'm sure we'll be having her in for a signing at some point. She stopped into the store about a week after the book came out, and checked the bestseller list. She was so excited to see that she had hit number three!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here If You Need Me.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Angila I did the same, I cried when her Drew passed away and I laughed out loud when she washed the doll and it came out looking like Don King. A really good book though.

Linsey I agree with your review. I also cried when she was washing her husbands body. I havent cried like that because of a book in a long time.

message 1: by James (new) - added it

James Connor I recently have reread Beginner's Grace. She made me cry some and laugh a lot. This one artfully described foibles that all of us humans are known by yet we can also soar when we help others who are struggling. Kate Braestrup included some wonderful prayers that she created from 1 or 2 Psalms. I found myself smiling a lot as well as feeling impressed by her insights. I heartily reccomend reading this book. I look forward to reading Here If You Need Me as soon as it arrives from my favorite book seller, BetterWorldBooks.com. They buy old library collections resell them for very competitive prices cause they have free shipping. All the profits go to world literacy. Peace