Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

Feb 22, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: testosterone
Recommended for: preposterous action adventure lovers
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 2 (I'm sorry)

Why you ask? Hell people, I read Clive Cussler and David Gibbins—what do you expect? These books are like desert (at a fancy restaurant—not my house). You read them for the sugar content and comparison. Then, when you start something by, lets say, Cormac McCarthy, you remember ‘Deception Point’ and congratulate yourself ‘ah—the English language will survive and your brain just may not have turned to pudding.’

But here’s the caveat: before it was popular to hate Dan Brown and that whole DaVinci pile of crap—he wrote a couple good books (three to be exact). If you took ‘Deception Point’ and put James Rollings name on it you would probably go ‘oh, this is pretty good.’ There’s the rub.

I am a sucker for anything buried. From pyramids, ancient scrolls, alien spaceships, to big mysterious chunks of rock. (Jack McDevitt comes up with lots of buried items in his books—that’s just an aside). You’ve found Atlantis? I’m there. So anyway, in ‘Deception’ NASA has pinpointed a meteor containing proof life exists beyond our neighborhood. The author throws in a lovely female protagonist (woo-hoo) and a hunky male protagonist (of course), a villain (hiss) and a government embroiled in deception and cover up (what? you’re kidding?).

Some of the ideas are actually interesting. The strength of a thriller for me is the ‘descriptive aject-action-tive.’ If a writer can sustain a series of thrilling (albeit preposterous) sequences for more than a few pages then I am ready for the ride. Dan Brown can do it—and quite well. If DaVinci hadn’t come along Brown would be producing a nice shelf of thrillers. There are a few sequences that have a high ‘wow’ factor. The plot is a little ponderous—but no more so than a typical Cussler. There’s some descriptive imagery (particularly in the Arctic) that stick in your brain for a while.
Atmosphere, A; Action, A; Plot, C; Character Development, yah right.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Free Fall Have you read Michael Crichton? Also formulaic, but big on action.