Katie's Reviews > Ironskin

Ironskin by Tina Connolly

Dec 06, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in December, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is a very uniquely fantastical retelling of Jane Eyre that I simply could not put down. The disarming mix of gothic romance and fey horror made it hard to anticipate where the author would take the story. Some things were expected (why did it take Jane so long to figure out that Edward was magically replacing women's faces?) while others took me completely by surprise (a Dwarven housekeeper? What motivates her to keep that job?). Although the book has some flaws I think it gets five stars for the creativity.

I just have to say that I could have done without Jane ripping her face off at the end. Overall the author worked out the problems of the ending rather well, but did she really have to go that far? And why do we never hear what happens to Helen?

Since what I love most about this book is its unique nature, I'm not very excited to see that a second book is in the works. What are they going to do- take the Fey war to Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth? Heathcliff and Catherine? I just can't see the author doing another rewrite as cleverly as this one, yet I'm not sure that Jane and Edward have enough life of their own to exist beyond the Jane Eyre parody. I'll have to watch the reviews and see if the second book is worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.