Alex's Reviews > Heroes of the Valley

Feb 22, 09

liked it
bookshelves: coming-of-age, magic, mythology
Read in February, 2009

Halli, the second son of the House of Svein has grown up hearing the tales of his ancestor's great deeds and wishes to have adventures for himself, but instead finds himself living a quiet existence in a lonely mountain pass. But when his uncle is killed by the head of another House, Halli sets out on a quest to avenge his uncle. Through the events of the his quest, Halli begins to great up and find inner courage to face even the darkest of foul creatures.
Very enjoyable, I actually ignored my pregnant wife for most of the morning to finish this action story. Each chapter begins with a small passage of the old history or mythology of the House of Svein, which is supposed to help juxtapose the events that Halli is going through, but I found myself skipping over those sections and heading straight to Halli's tale. I am however impressed that Stroud has done such a great job creating an independent tale from his other triology.
3 1/2 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes of the Valley.