BJ Rose's Reviews > The Perfect Rake

2030200
Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: a-regency
Read in June, 2006

What a great first book in the series about the Merridew sisters. Prudence is a courageous heroine who protects her sisters from their verbally & physically abusive grandfather. While he is bedridden with a broken ankle, they escape to London to their Granduncle Oswald (who becomes a great secondary character in the series). Their goal is to get married as soon as possible to escape the guardianship of their grandfather, but Oswald puts a kink in their plans when he insists that Prudence marry first. She is considered a 'plain jane' in comparison to her lovely younger sisters, and also has a PAST that she feels makes it impossible to marry, so she invents a fake engagement to a very eligible man who never comes to London - SURPRISE! Enter Gideon, who quickly becomes infatuated, then falls in love, but keeps his sense of humor, even (or especially) when mayhem occurs. His Aunt Gussie is another great secondary character.

I love Gracie's witty and humorous style - the storyline in the later books in this series did not always hold up, but this one kept me involved all the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Rake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corrine I love this book! I'm so confused why I don't hear more people gushing about this. The rest of the series is blah, but this one is in my Top 10.

BJ Rose I also liked Hope's story (The Perfect Waltz), but not nearly as much as this one; Faith's story was about the worst Gracie book I've read, and I was SO disappointed in Grace's story - I guess my expectations were too high