Candace's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Dec 06, 12

Read in December, 2012

I read "A Suitable Boy" when it came out and loved it. I just re-read it, and actually loved it even more. The story is so engrossing, each character so completely developed, that is it hard to move on once you turn the last page. What else will give a reader such a sense of sitting in on a huge story with people you miss when the book is through? And then there are these questions: was Lata's choice the right one? What's going on between Maan and Firoz? Is the future going to be as tough on Saeeda Bai as it seems? What will happen to the Khans with the Zamindari act? Can Mrs. Rupa Mehra please have an admirer? She deserves something, and Jeez, she's only in her 40s.

Now I hear that Seth is working on a sequel (please pass on any additional info, fellow readers) Of course I'm filled with anticipation, but have a suggestion, Vik. Realize that you cannot wind up this story in a mingy 365 pages. You will need a large canvas to satisfy your readers and do your characters justice.

"A Suitable Boy" is recommended for anyone who relishes the transformative power of fiction and the joy of great storytelling.

Candace Siegle,
Greedy Reader

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.