Laurie Gold's Reviews > The Revolution Was Televised: The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever

The Revolution Was Televised by Alan Sepinwall

Dec 06, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in December, 2012

I read about this book in Entertainment Weekly--and assumed it was Big 6 rather than self published--then downloaded it while walking between terminals at the Phoenix Airport last week to read while in L.A. plane.

Although I did not watch fully half of the shows Sepinwall writes about, I enjoyed his commentary as to the influence of the other half, although I wish the LOST chapter had been longer, and that groundbreaking comedies had been included.

It's tough to give this book a rating, because I didn't read all of it. I am familiar enough with some of the shows I never watched to know of their influence, and in those instances I did read the author's analysis. But if I didn't watch a show and knew little about it, I skipped ahead.

As to the chapters I did read, Sepinwall provides what seems like an expert, insider's take on The Sopranos, Mad Men, and Lost. What also appealed to me was how the author illustrated the "revolution" in televised storytelling from one show to another.

I didn't read this book in its entirety. The half I read earns a grade of B. My lack of interest in the other half, though, knocks down the grade overall to C. Fair? Maybe not, but I did try and read some of the chapters that I eventually skipped. I simply didn't find them compelling enough to continue.

If you are a TV lover, particularly of groundbreaking dramas from the recent past. I'd give this one a try, even if, like me, you skip around. I generally don't recommend that with C-graded books, but that is also why I'm not star-grading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revolution Was Televised.