Carmen Micsa's Reviews > 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12

1-2-3 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan

2001611
Feb 22, 2009

Read in February, 2009

As the parent of two toddlers, a boy and a girl, I feel that I constantly need to learn something new every day about being a good parent, while avoiding overparenting.

I particularly enjoyed the 1-2-3 counting technique described in the book, which I successfully use with my kids to enforce discipline. Among other things the author talks about the importance of positive reinforcement and effective communication.

However, the idea that resonates the most is centered around our lack of attentiveness some times towards our kids, as we forget to offer praise and encouragement. The author's quotation "Angry people speak, happy people shut up," is a reminder that we need to be eager to point out the positive first before being quick to criticize. Also in the grand scheme of things, this truly applies to all our relationships with our spouses, siblings, friends, and so on.

In conclusion, let's hold hands more, and be sympathetic rather than judge and criticize.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1-2-3 Magic.

Kelli Bdnvuddduiwodfhrkfhrhidjvffwsdddfzcxx cftvgtgfdedrrrrrnfjrkrjfkriutututiutigekdshhejyegegjdjdjjkggejahrwdhchhchgdhxbbdjdjdhjdhrebhejdhqiehrhfjdjrjhejdjrjdirjdjdhdhdhdhdhhdhehsurhrurryyuaiaisjdiddjjdjdjdjdhdhdhddududuudurursuurfhjjdhdehhejfjdjjkjggghggghchxhsxuduxuhxuusddk
NjxxjhxjxuxhhddjehdujJzjdjddjjddidusujddidudjdjdjjdjsjjjsjhesyydhshettwerdjdhddhsrjdjgekfubsdkbdjjddhhcjbggghhhhhijghhhjckfkjfjdjskdggggfgfkjfckkckc
Xhjdjnxjjfd