Luann's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Mar 07, 09

bookshelves: mystery, 2009, adult, shelf-a-thon1, gr-authors, tv
Recommended to Luann by: Verona Jarvis
Read in March, 2009

Excellent! I enjoyed this a lot. Mma Ramotswe is a fun, common-sense character and a great detective. She reminds me of Miss Marple or Mrs. Pollifax. I'll definitely read another in the series sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

03/05/2009 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

Verona This is a delightful series. Blaine and I have listened to 7 in this series and just love them. We found the characters to be genunine and real. The pace of life in Africa is slower and very interesting. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Luann That makes me want to bump it up in priority. I'm looking forward to reading it!

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ I've read the whole series and I loved it.

Luann Thanks for the recommendation, Carol. I don't know when I'll get to the whole series, but I'll definitely read another sometime. I'm also reading an Aunt Dimity book every so often.

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ What are the names of the Aunt Dimity books? I haven't heard of them. I love the Detective series because it is different because it is in Africa and yet she does the same things we do. They eat a lot of pumpkins in those books. Not sure I would want my diet to be so full of pumpkins but it is healthy.
The reason I ever started them was because I was being an extra in a movie and met a girl from Canada who was reading the last one. She was going to go to Africa for two years in the medical field with her husband so she was reading everything about Africa. She gave me the first book and I was hooked on the series and I've read another of Alexander McCall Smith's series. I like the way he writes.

Luann The Aunt Dimity books are by Nancy Atherton and start with Aunt Dimity's Death. They are cozy mysteries with a touch of the supernatural - since Aunt Dimity is really the main character, yet has already passed away at the start of the first book. She is still very much involved in the solving of the mysteries, though. :) They are set in England. So far I've read the first three.

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ Okay. Sounds good, I will have to find them.