Linda's Reviews > Cashelmara

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

Sep 01, 07

Recommended for: historical fiction fans
Read in August, 2007

This scandalous through the generations English family saga is set in the mid to late 1860s. Beginning with the patriarch Edward de Salis and ending with his grandson, Patrick, the saga follows the changes in fortune of the family's Irish estate, Cashelmara. The novel is divided into several sections which are narrated by different members of the family. The plot contains a good mix of romance and mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cashelmara.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

ANGELA Linda! I cant believe you read this!!! I thought no one else had read Susan Howatch!! I loved Cashelmara and Penmarric- i tried reading some of her later stuff like The Rich are Different and Sins of the Fathers- but i could not get through them they were so boring...and she has moved on to writing alot of religious stuff- have you read The Wheel of Fortune? Thats a good one too- there are two volumes!

Linda Hi Angela - I read it because it was on your Good Reads list. I'm going to go to the library and check out Penmarric next. I like through the generation family sagas. Have you ever read anything by Belva Plain?

ANGELA Linda- I am glad you liked it! Evergreen by Belva Plain is one of my all time favorites my mom read it back in the day and I read it a few times too- I havent read the sequels though - I would like to read more of her stuff- too many books too little time!!!:-) I love those family saga books!!!