Marie's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine  Brooks

2031425
Jan 22, 12

Read in February, 2009

Having read the first page or two of this novel I nearly threw it into the corner having quickly developed a complete dislike for the main character! Encouraged by my daughter to at least finish the first chapter since I'd made a special trip to find this novel and purchase it at full price at a brick and morter store. After getting through the first few painful chapters - I was hooked for good!

A truly fascinating tale! Once I resigned myself to just 'put up with' my comtempt for Hanna Heath, the lead character, I was immersed in the story which carries the reader to a number of exotic places and spellbinding historic events as Heath, curator of ancient texts, traces the history and creation of a famed Jewish text.

A chapter into the book and it appears the first chapter might have been written by someone other than the prime author! The rest of the book is so well written and so enthralling I feel that two authors may have been at work here! I found the first sections poorly written and disappointingly boring. Reaching deeper into the novel I found it one of those exhaustingly delicious page turners!

It MAY be slow going for you at first, as it was for me, but once you get into the meat of this beautiful novel you should find it well worth your time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.