Leah's Reviews > This Full House

This Full House by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Feb 21, 09

I was in summer camp and desperate for books when, out of desperation, I borrowed a book written in blank verse and decided to give it a try. Wow! Virginia Euwer Wolff is a magician with language; after reading her books, you almost feel like all emotionally powerful books need to be written in blank verse. "This Full House," the final book in her Make Lemonade trilogy, follows LaVaughn as she continues to reach for her dream of going to college, help her friend Jolly, and (in a somewhat minor key) deal with boys. The book seemed to have a little bit less emotional impact than the other two books -- I'm not sure if it's because the passing of a decade has haloed the previous two in my mind, or because most of what goes on in this book doesn't affect LaVaugn directly. The danger that she will lose her chance at college because of an effort to help Jolly never feels quite real or imminent. But the events in her friends' lives and her attempts to help them are real and immediate; I read the entire book straight through in one sitting, and came away not only engrossed but with, once again, a deeper sense of a character whose life I have very little in common with.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Full House.