Alex's Reviews > Wild Things

Wild Things by Clay Carmichael

Feb 21, 09

bookshelves: coming-of-age
Read in February, 2009

At least once or twice a year, I come across a book that is so engaging that I truly savor the reading experience, often reading slower than I normally do, to prolong my brief interaction with the characters; and for me, Wild Things just hit so many right notes. We follow two completely independent people, each battle scared and world weary, with set understandings of the world around them, and yet each of them meets the one person who locks in them the missing theme in their lives- which happens to be unchecked love. Cat, or Mr C'mere as he is later dubbed, is our narrator, dropping morsels of knowledge that outline the story without ever over stating the meaning or purpose. Zoe,who, with the passing of her mother, goes to live with her long lost uncle, has a fierce seen it all attitude that acts as her armor, and yet through the uncle's consistent presence, slowly warms and becomes whole again. Absolutely enchanting, and wonderfully written with just a hint of southern charm ala Clyde Edgerton or Nancy Peacock, Wild Things is to be enjoyed by all.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Things.