Toby's Reviews > Scaredy Squirrel

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

Feb 21, 2009

Read in February, 2009

2010 Monarch Award master list
`From the flap copy: ‘Here’s the story, in a nutshell: I never leave my nut tree. It’s way too dangerous out there. I could encounter germs, poison ivy or sharks. If danger comes along, I’m prepared. I have antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute. But things really get shaken up later in the book when I’m forced out of my tree by a vicious intruder! Will I survive this ordeal? Will I undergo a life-changing experience? Will I discover my true inner self?’ No spoilers here, you’ll have to read the book to find out!
I liked squirrels a lot better when I first saw this book; that was before I had to spend $300 to have a nest of squirrels relocated from my attic. But Scaredy is a charmer, from the cover illustration where he’s gamely gritting his teeth to his graphs & lists & comparison charts, such as the Advantages of Never Leaving the Nut Tree (9 items), which clearly wins out over the Disadvantages (3 items). Kids will have fun telling their own stories using the book as a writing model. They may also remember other favorite worrywarts from children’s books, such as Kevin Henkes’ Wemberly Worried, a favorite of mine.
To my amazement, I have a real-world connection to this book after scanning the book reviews. Publishers Weekly said, “It’s an indication of how well Watt…knows her helicopter-parented audience that she’s able to turn the phrase ‘antibacterial soap’ into a bona fide punchline.” Thanks, Pat!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scaredy Squirrel.

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Thanks!!! What a fun review--I can't wait to read it. I hadn't thought yet to pre-read all the Monarchs before we go through this with our classes! I have to get to this soon! Thanks!

Toby I am so lucky - reading the Monarchs is part of my day job! And actually, of the l/2 dozen I've read so far, my absolute favorite is Nic Bishop's Frogs - check it out!

p.s. Am I the only one who didn't know what a helicopter mom was??

message 3: by Karrie (new)

Karrie Toby wrote: "I am so lucky - reading the Monarchs is part of my day job! And actually, of the l/2 dozen I've read so far, my absolute favorite is Nic Bishop's Frogs - check it out!

p.s. Am I the only one w..."

I knew what a helicopter mom was. I just ordered Nic Bishop's frogs, which was truly a selfless act b/c I have a phobia of frogs. I won't be reading this one!

Toby You know, we all knew it would have gorgeous pictures because it's National Geographic. But you have to promise to read the author's note at the end; if that doesn't grab you, you have this librarian's permission not to read the rest of the text. He tells stories about what he had to do to get those pictures - and how much fun it was! It's adds a whole new dimension to the pictures.

message 5: by Karrie (new)

Karrie Toby wrote: "You know, we all knew it would have gorgeous pictures because it's National Geographic. But you have to promise to read the author's note at the end; if that doesn't grab you, you have this librar..."

Okay, I promise. I didn't really think I could get away with not looking at it even though it will creep me out. I've got to know what's in my library!

Christy Sounds like I need to read Scaredy Squirrel and Nic Bishop's Frogs. I'm intrigued by all these comments!! Must keep reading!!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Okay--I haven't read Scaredy Squirrel yet, but isn't a helicopter mom just a mom who drops in and flies right back out again? Sort of stopping here and there for a moment? Am I wrong?

Toby According to Pat, a helicopter mom is one who hovers so that kids become, well, Scaredy Squirrels. I also have a confession to make - I attended a session on the Monarch Award at a conference today and the Nic Bishop title on the 2010 Monarch list is Spiders, not Frogs! Personally, I prefer Frogs but Karrie, this may be your salvation!

Christy Toby wrote: "According to Pat, a helicopter mom is one who hovers so that kids become, well, Scaredy Squirrels. I also have a confession to make - I attended a session on the Monarch Award at a conference toda..."

Toby,
I will have to pick your braing about the conference since my presentation is about the Monarch. I think this is going just to you...if not...sorry everyone!! Did you learn anything I should know??