Margot's Reviews > Eragon

Mar 18, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: children-s, fantasy, 2011, audio-books, dragons
Read from March 01 to 15, 2011

So, I first tried reading Eragon several years ago, to find out what all the fuss was about, but couldn't get past the first 200 pages. The unsophisticated prose (using a simplistic vocabulary and very few complex sentences) combined with the very derivitive plot and characters (think a The Lord of the Rings version of Star Wars) were a huge turnoff. However, in an effort to finish many unfinished books and read all the books I already own in order to free up some shelf space, I decided to give Eragon another go, this time in audio book format.

I found that the simply-written prose actually lent themselves rather well to audio, making this book a very easy one to listen to. Although I did have issue with the reader, Gerard Doyle, making Angela and Murtagh speak in Irish accents. This book is supposed to take place in the fantastical land of Alagaësia; I find it hard to believe that many people from Ireland immigrate there.

That kind of silliness, combined with Eragon's stupidity and the very dull last third of the book (they're being chased/attacked by Urgals again?! Who woulda thunk it!), made it very easy for me to conclude--with no regrets--that I will not be reading further into the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eragon.

03/04/2011 "Giving this one another go. Couldn't get past the first 200 pages the last time, but I'm hoping Paolini's subpar pros will be easier to get through in audio-book format."

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) Oh, Lordy, do I agree with you, Margot. I thought this was really bad. I tried to read it a few years ago; tried twice, in fact, but gave up and unloaded it.