Gary's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Dec 05, 12

Just fantastic. Ronson is like Kurt Vonnegut crossed with Hunter S. Thompson. He's a non-fiction writer but somehow injects himself into the stories in an accidental but charming way.

Non fiction books often have an agenda and their authors tend to pound that agenda at you over and over. Ronson goes on a journey that starts with a strange book being sent to university professors and he gets sucked in from there. Initially you feel that the book will be a thrashing of Scientology, psychology, and the judicial system. But the more we get into things the more we see it isn't black and white.

You do come out with a pit in your stomach over the DSM-IV, the American Psychiatric manual that categorizes out neuroses and provides checklists for making a diagnosis (or two).

I've often wondered how people like Stanley Druckenmiller and George Soros can do things like actively devalue the British Pound knowing that their actions make them richer at the expense of British taxpayers and jobs. This book contains the answer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.