Ren the Unclean's Reviews > The Book of Three

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Fantasy fans
Read in October, 2007

** spoiler alert ** This book seems like a generic fantasy tale, but really turns out to be unique in its own specific ways. Rather than having a main character who is setting out to destroy the great evil of the land, Taran is simply attempting to get to Caer Dathyl in order to warn the real warriors about an approaching army, a task that ends up being unnecessary anyway.

The main characters themselves are also very unique, in that no one in the adventuring party is really suited to acts of heroism at all, but they use their unique skills and courage to prevail anyway. The only real heroic character in the book is lost about 1/3 of the way through, before the actual adventuring even begins.

One of the strong points of the story is that Lloyd Alexander's character development is very well done, and most of the characters gain some amount of depth and maturity as the story goes along, especially Gurgi and Taran. Though Taran is hopelessly inept throughout the story, he does manage to succeed in his eventual goal and, as pointed out by his mentor, recognizes the mistakes he made along the way.

Overall, this is a very well written book that tells an interesting story and sets up the characters for further adventures in the land of Prydain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Three.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Spencer This comment captures the book rather well. At first I was a bit put off by the too-close similarities between Alexander's book and Tolkienn's books, but after recognizing that it's for a young adult audience I wasn't as harsh. In a weird sort of way it's nice that the main protagonist does not perform the most heroic acts, and yet he seems to have a knack for appreciating his companions, something that everyone could do better.

It's not a deep book and the plot just races along = ideal for a younger audience, not so much for more experienced readers.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I definatley agree. It was rather fast paced,but I was sort of glad that Alexander didn't take six pages to describe a clearing like some authors I could mention.