Julie's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

May 22, 09

bookshelves: africa-theme-setting, best-of-2009, read-2009
Recommended to Julie by: Kristine B
Read in May, 2009

A beautifully rendered novel that is both the modern history of an ancient nation and a deeply personal family story. The deep bond and emotional dependency of twins has been explored before, but the graphic and fascinating descriptions of trauma surgery practiced in impoverished and unstable settings, the theme of the Indian diaspora, and the story of African nations crippled by colonial politics combine to give a profound sense of place and history.

Verghese is a careful and patient writer and he demands the same of his readers. The opening chapters owe a debt to John Irving, to whom Verghese nods in his acknowledgments. That bit of Garpian absurdity gives way to a dramatic story that resonates with fully-realized characters and plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

05/18/2009 page 80
05/20/2009 page 207
38.26% 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I'm off to such a slow start with this. I can't seem to stay with it long enough at any one sitting. Likely more of a reflection of my attention span- now captured by spring and the out-of-doors than this story. What I've read I've enjoyed, so I will keep at it.

Kristine Did you yell, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DO IT!!" when he got a certain knock on the door.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers here but I assume you know what part I'm talking about :)

Julie I did, I did! I was so frustrated, but I couldn't look away...

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen The first time I tried this I had to put it down. Three months later and I am feeling more patient and am now totally engorssed and appreciating Verghese's careful, detailed prose.

Julie That's exactly what happened for me, Maureen- I struggled, then was suddenly swept away. I hope you enjoy this as much as I!

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen So you were engorssed in it too? Or is that engorged?

Sheesh-so sorry for my appalling typing and sight.

Almost through and still loving it.

Julie Hah- I didn't even notice! I catch some of the most appalling typos of my own, usually long after I've posted something.... sigh.

So glad this book has touched you!

message 8: by Charisse (new) - added it

Charisse My mom gave me a copy this weekend... I think I need to wait until my library list is at a halt.

message 9: by Robyn (new) - added it

Robyn I have started and abandoned this book three times. Your review (and the fact it's the only unread book I have in my house) has given me reason to try again.

Julie Robyn wrote: "I have started and abandoned this book three times. Your review (and the fact it's the only unread book I have in my house) has given me reason to try again." Robyn, I read this so long ago, but that difficult stretch at the beginning has stuck with me. I hope the fourth time is the charm for you!