Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Death Match

Mar 03, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, detective-crime
Read in February, 2009

I hadn't read any work or co-written work by Child, so this was my first experience with his writing.

The story was about a reclusive computer genius Richard Silver who founds a matchmaking service, Eden, which has incredibly successful outcomes.

People matched using the service find unimaginable long-lasting happiness. There are even six people who are perfectly matched - the supercouples.

When the first super-couple commits double suicide, the company calls on Dr. Christopher Lash, former FBI agent turned private practice, to discreetly help them determine what went wrong.

After the second super-couple commits suicide, Lash is given unprecedented access to the company and learns of its supercomputer, Liza. Liza is Silver's creation and is infused with artificial intelligence.

As Lash makes progress in his investigation and suggests someone murdered the supercouples, strange things begin happening to him.

Eventually, Lash is framed for the murders he is to be investigating and must work on his own to solve the mystery.

I thought the book started out well and carried me through the middle, but personally it nose-dived toward the end. I was even more disappointed with everything after the climax.

It wasn't a horrible book, but I didn't feel the story was believable within its own parameters toward the end and that things were too easily put in place to make the conclusion work. For that I had to drop it below three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Match.