Jenny Maloney's Reviews > Angela's Ashes: A Memoir

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: historical, memoir, books-on-cd, have-read
Read in February, 2009

Between this memoir and The Glass Castle I have determined that my life is not so rough at all.

First off, because this is a book on cd, I must give props to Frank McCourt and his lovely accent...and the way he makes fun of everyone else's accent (British and American alike). I don't think hearing an American actor perform this would've had the same impact.

And on to the impact (in which praise is also due to Jeanette Wells, author of Glass Castle for a similar accomplishment):
The best part of this story is that life sucks--but the voice is so hopeful that you're waiting and waiting for the world to get better just because the narrator is in it. Does it? Well, that's up in the air. But you know it will be. I think that's a requirement if you're writing a memoir like this. It can't just be about life sucking.

There are moments, even in the most dreary of times--your dad is drinking away the welfare money, your mom turns beggar, your brothers and sister die--where there's humor. Who knew that a doctor farting would be the sign that you'll live through typhoid fever? There were moments in this book that I laughed my ass off and (because I was listening to it)almost veered off the road.

If you haven't read it...go do so.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.