Trin's Reviews > St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell

Mar 18, 09

bookshelves: american-lit, shortstories
Read in February, 2009

Confession time: I think Kelly Link’s and Aimee Bender’s short stories are only okay. Occasionally one of their tales will astound me, but mostly I’m a bit “meh” on them—especially compared to how much many readers I respect love them. (Personally, I prefer Stacey Richter.) So when I say that Karen Russell’s short stories read like Link or Bender rejects, I hope you can see how faint an endorsement that is coming from me. Most of the stories in this collection feature young first person narrators, and almost all end abruptly, without any real resolution, which I find very frustrating. What’s the point? Some of Russell’s imagery is nice—especially in “Haunting Olivia” and “The City of Shells”—but the collections quickly begins to feel samey and unfulfilling. I’d recommend reading one of Richter’s collections—or even one of Link’s or Bender’s—instead.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves.

02/20/2009 page 103

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Not a comment on this book, but I wanted to say I really enjoy reading your thoughts on these books. Interesting and thought-provoking, even if it means I won't read these. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Krok Zero Trin, I'm with you on Bender and Link, but for me Russell's book was like what I *want* Bender and Link to be. Genuinely idiosyncratic and beautifully written, instead of Bender's labored quirks or Link's plain-jain prose. I'm shocked to hear you call these "rejects" since to my mind Russell's stories are far more accomplished, formally at least, than Bender's or Link's.