John Wiswell's Reviews > The Bromeliad Trilogy

The Bromeliad Trilogy by Terry Pratchett

Aug 17, 2007

Recommended for: Fantasy readers, younger readers, satire readers
Read in February, 2006

The Bromeliad cast a spell over me that made me read all three books in just four days. I couldn’t help myself at their cuteness, humor and wonderful satire. It's a strange wedding of children's fantasy and adult satire, that parents may enjoy as much as their children. The books follow gnomes who have lived in a department store for so long that its slogans have become the writ of their religion. They don’t believe anything exists outside the store and look to the “founders” as deities. The collision of smallmindedness with a wide, wide world is brilliant satire of religion, but unlike much satire, Pratchett is infinitely readable because he never comes off as though he hates his subjects. He mocks them, prods them, scorns them – but there isn’t a loathing here that’s in Jonathan Swift or Mark Twain. Of course these books are aimed at a younger crowd and are fluffier, but even the messages at the end show a sympathy for faith that allow the satire to succeed where a condemnation would have split the audience, and that would be a shame with such an inventive and winning story as one of wee folk hijacking cars in their search for survival and truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bromeliad Trilogy.