Jimmy's Reviews > The Moviegoer

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: barthelme-syllabus, male, novel, year-1960s
Read in February, 2009

I LOVED it! This book really seems kin to me or something, on some level. But there is so much there, it feels like an idea driven book, but not in an impersonal abstract way, which is what is remarkable about it. I felt very connected. I don't know if I understand a lot of it, but I feel it anyway. There were many passages that I just wanted to copy and save somewhere that was easily accessible so I could read it over and over again, for the language and the ideas, both. And parts of it were so FUNNY! One thing I didn't get, I probably just missed it somewhere, but who is Rory? He seems to be addressing this Rory character throughout the book. I have many more questions, and wanted to re-read it immediately afterwards. But I think it's probably a good idea to wait and let it settle first.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moviegoer.

02/21/2009 page 30
12.4% ""for Connie--because you understand the existential predicament. Happy Birthday! <3, J. 7/2003""

Paul Klinger Curious to know what you think of this one. Really love this book.

Jimmy Oh i just finished it today, Paul. I loved it!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie How weird...I just got this for Isaac. I'll let him know you love it!

message 4: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon Hooray, I'm so glad this is well-liked. I was planning to read it soon because of the title and a dimly-remembered review, but I keep putting it off thinking it might not be any good.

Ashley Who is Rory? I don't know either. Was confused. Seems he popus up only the in the last few pages.

Jodi Rory Calhoun, a heart-swoon among movie fans of the 1950s

Dawn Jimmy, just finished this one and couldn't stop thinking of you. Even tho I knew that it's one of Paul's favorites, all I could think is jimmy jimmy jimmy!

Jimmy Really? Why? I can't remember anything about it... I don't know why, but it seems to be very slippery in my brain. All I remember is that I really loved it.

Dawn I think it's the detachment from expectation/ambition. The main character is very detached from what his life could or couldn't be. And he delights in very small, very "present" things. Plus there's a radical neutrality in his disposition. I think that's very jimmy.