Kristina's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Dec 13, 2012

bookshelves: audiobooks, 2012-goal-60
Read from December 04 to 13, 2012

For the first half of this book I was all set for a five star rating. How many books draw you so far in that you start panicking over the price of gas because in the book it has gone to nearly $20 a gallon, or made you wonder if the grocery stores are open, or be so relieved to get home and see that you have electricity? That is the kind of emotion this book caused in me. As the main character was rushing through a store to gather as many groceries as she and her family could before the stores ran out, I panicked with her, and even cried when someone begged for their help going into the store.

As the book progressed though, once the family settled into their panic, stress, and hunger things started dragging a bit. Daily life being the same day in and day out wasn't as interesting as the first half of the book. Yes, there was the odd event here and there, but mostly it was all just about the same.

As the book was drawing to a close though, the tension heated up again and had me by the throat as the book came to an end, and prepped me for the second book in the series (which takes place during the same time frame as book one, but in a different location).

All in all, very powerful and gripping young adult post-apocalyptic novel for anyone who enjoys that genre.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.