Mary Jane's Reviews > The Princess and the Pea

The Princess and the Pea by Lauren Child

Feb 20, 09

Recommended to Mary Jane by: Trina Swift
Read in February, 2009, read count: 2

I am planning my 6 year-old's birthday party and she wants the "Princess and the Pea" theme. We got the family fun magazine and it has a darling cake to go with the story. I am starting to look for the perfect book to read to the girls at the party. My neighbor loaned me this one to try.

I haven't read a version of this story in a LONG time, but this one isn't my favorite retelling of it. Mostly, because it is a bit vague on the purpose of putting the pea under the matresses. The "real" princess is the only one who sleeps on it--I seem to remember many different princesses not passing the pea-under-the-matress test. The pictures are great! I say pictures, because they are actual photographs of adorable paperdolls in wonderful sets. Lauren Child (the author) also does the Charlie and Lola books (Disney Channel does a Charlie and Lola cartoon based off them).

If anyone has any suggestions of great picture-book versions of this story, let me know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Pea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The only one that comes to my mind is the one called The Penguin and the Pea. It tells the age old story well, but the princess is a penguin. That might be a deal breaker for Betty.

Mary Jane I'm going to look for it. The author's first name is Janet...that might be really exciting. I also think that if I read some different versions, it might give me a chance to read it differently, but show the same pictures from this book. The pictures are SO darling and clever and different. You soon-to-be daughter will be all over it in a few years!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have this penguin book somewhere in my collection. Let me know if you want it. Plus, I still have your glen beck book I need to get back to you. I will try to find the penguin book and bring them both by. I haven't visited my mom in awhile, so this will be a good reason to get over there.

Mary Jane I do want to borrow your Penguin and the Pea book! Thanks! I totally forgot that you had my Glenn Beck book. Did you read his book "The Christmas Sweater"? It is a great read. I packed my copy up with my Christmas decorations. It could be read any time of year, but I'm not getting it back out! I'll lend it to you next Christmas. ;) I haven't seen your review on goodreads of the other book. Did you get a chance to read it?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie No. I did not read all of it. Just little parts and pieces here and there. Steve read it and LOVED it and would talk about it and I'd kind of read a little over his shoulder. Sadly, these past couple of years have not been very condusive to me reading ANY books all the way through. I just can't seem to focus. Too many places for my brain to be. I can't wait until I can be home again and get back into my reading routine. AHHHH!
Okay. Probably the soonest I could bring the books to you would be Saturday. I still need to dig through my stash to find the penguin one. It could either be in my kindergarten room or the preschool. Let me know if you need it sooner and I'll get it out for you, leave it on my porch or something:)

Mary Jane I can wait for the weekend. Thanks!