Travis's Reviews > DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground

DMZ, Vol. 1 by Brian Wood

Feb 20, 2009

bookshelves: graphicnovels
Read in February, 2009

America's next Civil War in bold across the back cover of the book gives a short rendition of what DMZ is about.

I discovered Brian Wood in late 2005 with his series DEMO. I wanted something off the mainstream and I found a couple issues of DEMO, the first issue and the break-up issue, and after that I was hooked. I collected all the DEMO issues and started to find some of his earlier works. So, when DMZ broke around November-ish of 2006 I jumped all over it. It's been cool watching Wood's career blossom over the years.

DMZ is definitely a book that pulsates with signs of the times it is produced in. There are many parallels between the America of DMZ and the Bush era of our America. One thing that makes this book so wonderful and what makes comics so wonderful is that there can be a social dialog on the state of our Country while it's happening; we didn't have to wait twenty years for this material to come out it's happening now.

Where Warren Ellis depicts America in CROOKED LITTLE VEIN as the government taking America back from its people. DMZ tells the story of people taking America back from the government.

After Obama won the Presidency a lot of critiques asked if DMZ would still be relevant. I say with division of American even deeper and with War still in the Middle East; then, yes, this books is still or even more relevant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DMZ, Vol. 1.