Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston

Feb 21, 09

Read in February, 2009

This amazing novel stars the flawed, sarcastic “Web” Goodhue as a late-20’s slacker in Southern California who is given the opportunity to make some money as a crime-scene cleaner. The author, Charlie Huston, is known for his hard-boiled vampire detective Joe Pitt novels. He is at the top of his form with THE MYSTIC ARTS OF ERASING ALL SIGNS OF DEATH.
As Web begins his new job, he falls for the daughter of a suicide victim, and he’s drawn into a territory war and a theft ring.
The title has a double meaning, which I won’t spoil for you. As the story unfolds we find out more about the background of the characters, and how this has formed them. Web’s cynicism started to get on my nerves, until details were revealed. Then I totally understood. In my opinion, all of the main characters are well written except for Soledad.
The story is funny, crude, and sometimes poignant. There are surprises and gasps and laughs-out-loud. I recommend this book for those who are not offended by the f-bomb, but understand that some of those f-bombs add to the humor. Really, take my word for it - they do! Find out for yourself and read THE MYSTIC ARTS OF ERASING ALL SIGNS OF DEATH!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death.