AJ Conroy's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz   Moore

Dec 04, 12

bookshelves: to-read

At first glance, the two protagonists of Liz Moore's second novel, Heft, seem so dissimilar that it's hard to believe they even belong in the same book. Arthur Opp once taught literature to college students. Now he is 58, a recluse weighing 550 pounds, living in the house in which he grew up. Kel Keller is handsome and popular, an extremely talented high school baseball player who is hoping to make it to the bigs. Because I don't believe in giving anything away about the plot, all I will say is that discovering the connection between these two men, if they are, indeed, connected at all, will keep you reading this emotionally true (and often heartbreaking but never bathetic) novel.

And when you've finished and returned Heft to the library or lent it to a friend or archived it on your e-reader, you'll find yourself missing having the characters around. You'll wonder, while you're waiting for the light to change or kneading bread dough, what happened next. One of my very favorite Anne Tyler novels is Searching for Caleb. Reading Heft reminded me why. The authors' writing styles are not at all alike, of course (Moore seems to me to be much more straightforward and direct), but both Tyler and Moore have created characters that I'll probably never forget.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.