Rachel's Reviews > Miss Manners on Weddings

Miss Manners on Weddings by Judith Martin

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: ugh
Read in February, 2009

Miss Manners has gone musty. She appears to be stuck in a past century (not necessarily the last one) and vehemently sticks to rules of propriety that are realistically no longer feasible in this day and age. Take the response card for example, which she opposes because everyone should know to rsvp for a wedding. However, how many people would actually take the time to write a proper rsvp and put it in the mail in a timely manner? In this day of cell phones, blackberries, email, text messages, and the like, a list of numbers or email addresses would have to be included for a speedy rsvp, which I am sure would induce frowns on the part of Miss Manners, who presumably has never gone through a wedding of her own or she would go by the more appropriate Mrs. or Ms. While I do not think that the bar should be lowered when it comes to proper manners, I do that it should be cast in something less than steel. Even Martha Stewart seems to have a better grasp on reality when it comes to wedding etiquette, and her bar is probably covered with hand made lace doilies.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Manners on Weddings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oh & just you wait and see...people can't even handle putting the response card into an envelope & mailing it back eventhough you've provided everything!!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Feb 23, 2009 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rachel That's what I hear. Could you imagine the mayhem if there was NO response card at all? We could send an evite and chances are half the guests still wouldn't rsvp.

Miss Manners also seems to feel it's the bride's responsibility to deal with the Thank yous. While I imagine I'll do most of them, I do feel that ideally it should be a shared responsibility as the gifts will be "ours" and not "mine."

I'm not sure if the person who gave me the book actually read it or was just collecting wedding stuff.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I made...I mean Ryan was kind enough to write "his" thank you notes. He was so proud of his BIG family when we were planning the wedding, but come time to write the thank yous...he was wishing that his side was smaller!