Dorothy's Reviews > Our Life in Gardens

Our Life in Gardens by Joe Eck

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: gardening, memoirs-and-biographies
Read in March, 2009

This book was a gift and I really, really wanted to like it a lot, but in the end, I just couldn't. The book is written by two men who garden in Vermont, and, although there are principles that translate from one garden to another no matter where it is located, I found much of the information in this book so foreign to my experience of gardening in subtropical Southeast Texas that it was really difficult to maintain interest. Many of the plants that they utilize such as lilacs and wisteria are either impossible to grow here (lilac) or it would be unethical to grow here (wisteria) because they are so invasive.

And speaking of invasives, their chapter on "Rampant plants" really seemed rather self-justifying and inadequate to address the serious consequences of planting many of the invasive, non-native species. Perhaps in the colder climate of Vermont, invasives are not so - er, invasive - but here in the warm and humid climate along the Gulf Coast, they are a major concern. Since the book was presumably written for an audience wider than Vermont gardeners, it seems that the problem should have been given more serious attention.

Eck and Winterrowd are good writers and, apparently, after so many years together, their thoughts and their writing styles have merged. They each wrote different chapters in the book, but I really couldn't discern where one writer left off and another one started.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Life in Gardens.

03/02/2009 page 35