Faran's Reviews > Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

U_50x66
Feb 19, 09

bookshelves: robinsonades

This was my boyhood favorite.

You have to ignore the fact that the protagonist was a slave trader at first. Just pretend he wasn't.

It is simply a brilliantly entertaining tale, and one that captures the imagination of every young reader of classic literature. I remember spending hours as a young boy re-reading Crusoe's inventories, description of his constructions, and of his survival methods, then falling asleep dreaming of being on a tropical island myself and considering what tools I would want, how I would procure them, how I would use them, what kind of shelter I would construct, how I would go about exploring the island and what natural wonders and austere beauties it would have, et cetera. Being pre-pubescent certainly helped in my romanticization of Crusoe's situation as a man *alone!) on a desert island. It doesn't seem so great now, of course.

Don't read an abridged version, as the adventures before the main one are quite entertaining and provide a good lesson in history as well. Besides, the long descriptions are vital for immersing oneself in the setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robinson Crusoe.