Heather's Reviews > The Wright 3

The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett

Feb 19, 2009

it was ok
Read in February, 2009

I needed a break from the heavy fantasy of JRR Tolkien and this was in the free pile at work. Balliet's inspiration (From the Mixed-Up Files...) is one of my favorite YA reads and I love Helquist's illustrations, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The story is a bit far-fetched (natch), and there are too many loose ends (did the house REALLY come alive? Who was saying "stay and play?" Who was the man in the cape on the train?) and too many supernatural elements which were sort of brushed aside in the resolution. It also seemed a bit like Balliet wanted to include a number of references (Invisible Man, Rear Window, etc.) and wrote this story specifically so she could fit them all together.

This is a niggling point, but if Petra's so bookish, and she's pictured with a dictionary next to her as she reads, why doesn't she look up any of the words that confuse her as she tears through the Invisible Man? GRAGH.

Still, a fun read and it got me interested in a building I've never really thought about (and a book I've never read -- I ordered the Invisible Man), so I suppose the book has done at least as much as it set out to do.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wright 3.