Manny's Reviews > Twelfth Night

Feb 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: why-not-call-it-poetry
Read in January, 1975

My younger son's primary school put on a production of Twelfth Night when he was about 10. Most of the cast was about as good as you'd expect, except the kid that played Malvolio, who was utterly brilliant. He was so much better than everyone else that it wasn't fair even to compare them. He just carried the show all by himself, and it was a triumph.

The teachers knew they had a star on their hands, and had decided in advance to record the performance. They said at the end of the evening that DVDs would be on sale for, I think £5 apiece. Like a good half of the audience, we handed over our money without a second thought.

But... oh dear! A day later, there came a shame-faced announcement that, due to a technical error, there would be no DVD. Maybe they'd left the lens cap on or something. I'm particularly annoyed, because I can't remember the kid's name, so I'm unable to find out if he did make it in show-biz. I certainly felt he had a decent shot at it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelfth Night.

01/04 marked as: read

Alan bloody hell - productions of Twelfth Night at 10 years old! What kind of school is that? At mine we were struggling with Peter Pan.