Manny's Reviews > King Richard III

King Richard III by William Shakespeare

Mar 27, 09

bookshelves: why-not-call-it-poetry, life-is-shakespeare
Read in January, 1975

Richard is ugly, and the girls aren't interested. This really sours his attitude. He decides to plunge the country into another ruinous civil war; that'll show the bitches.

But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp'd, and want love's majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail'd of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous,
By drunken prophecies, libels and dreams,
To set my brother Clarence and the king
In deadly hate the one against the other

Interestingly, once Richard has gained some serious political clout, he becomes a lot more attractive. Anne is fascinated, despite the fact that she has publicly cursed him and any woman stupid enough to fall for him. She ends up marrying the person she hates most in the whole world, and, as she bitterly says, her own curse is turned against her.

It would be nice to think Shakespeare was making it all up. In Fischer's Nazi Germany, I read that, as far as historians know, Hitler had sexual relationships with seven women during the course of his life. Every single one of them either committed suicide, or unsuccessfully tried to do so. Hitler wasn't exactly a looker either, though, as Diana Mosley never tired of pointing out, he was a very charming man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Richard III.

02/08 marked as: read

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan I've never been able to strut before a wanton ambling nymph either.

Manny I can kind of see it though chez Hitler. Eva's doing the wanton ambling thing, while Adolf goose-steps around. Could be quite a turn-on if you're a Fascist.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Should I invade Poland?

Manny That's so 1939. Think out of the box. Invade Lichtenstein.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan I think I'll try Wales it's nearer.

Manny I like it! What's "blitzkrieg" in Welsh?

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan Actually I invaded Wales last year. Marched to Aberystwyth, stormed the National Library. Nobody noticed.

Manny But how many Welshmen did you put in concentration camps? These details don't just look after themselves you know.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan Ah that was what I was doing wrong! I forgot the concentration camps. Next year...

Manny You'd better check first that Welshmen really are Untermenschen. I flunked Race Science 101, so I'm afraid I can't help you on that.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan No they're all lovely people. I'll have to look elsewhere. Damn.

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben Lesson of the story: If you want the bitches, start a civil war.

Duly noted....

message 13: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Or at least kill the twins.

Manny Bear in mind that the bitches will probably kill themselves in due course. Of course, you may consider that that adds to the fun.

message 15: by Ben (last edited Mar 27, 2009 05:20AM) (new)

Ben Manny wrote: "Bear in mind that the bitches will probably kill themselves in due course. Of course, you may consider that that adds to the fun.
"

Do these bitches get replaced with new bitches automatically or does a new civil war need to be started?

Manny I think one civil war is enough. But if you start feeling you're not hot any more, by all means start another one!

message 17: by Ben (new)

Ben Got it, thanks!

message 18: by Manny (last edited Mar 27, 2009 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manny By the way, considering that I reviewed How to Talk to Girls yesterday, I should make it clear that this is NOT Alec Greven's dating advice I'm passing on here. He says you shouldn't show off, and I'm pretty sure that starting a civil war falls into that category.

message 19: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Yeah, this is more like Guy de Maupaasant's advice. Or, rather, Georges Duroy's.

message 20: by Ben (new)

Ben Manny, a girl hurt me yesterday and I'm feeling a bit heart broken...a bit like the "girls aren't interested". I'm thinking now is a good time to start a civil war. Yes?

Manny I'm sorry Ben! Girls can be like that. (Coincidentally, so can boys). The problem is that civil wars take a while to prepare. Have you been farsighted enough to lay some plots and dangerous inductions?

But it's a good idea. I doubt it would be hard to arrange in Iraq, or maybe France if you want a place with better food...

Manny I know this is a stupid question, but have you actually tried strutting before a few wanton ambling nymphs? If the weather's as good where you are as it is here, there should be plenty in the park.

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben Ambling nymphs! The answer to my problems! I should be able to find a few at the club across the street this very weekend! Thanks, Manny!

Manny Ben wrote: "Ambling nymphs! The answer to my problems! I should be able to find a few at the club across the street this very weekend! Thanks, Manny!"

Good luck with the nymphs! If you're looking for the wanton ambling kind at a club, I presume that will be around the bar?

message 25: by Ben (new)

Ben Most likeley! Past experience tells me I've heard that alcohol can help increase the odds...

Victoria Young Have you seen the Ian McKellan film adaptation? It sets Richard III in Nazi Germany.

Manny Victoria wrote: "Have you seen the Ian McKellan film adaptation? It sets Richard III in Nazi Germany."

Yes, I have! I agree, an inspired choice...