Lynda's Reviews > A Delusion of Satan: The Full Story of the Salem Witch Trials

A Delusion of Satan by Frances Hill

Dec 03, 12

Read in October, 2009

This book explores the terrifying secrets of Salem, Massachusetts like no other. It truly does give "the full story" on all accounts with no ulterior motive other than truth.

I began writing a novel five years ago set in my hometown of Salem, and this book was my starting point when researching. Kudos to Frances Hill for gaining so much of the story, and for pointing us in the direction of the truth and how we may have strayed from it.

Chock full of information, this book explores all of the well known tales, such as Sarah Good's declaration at her hanging to Nicholas Noyes that "if she be a witch then he be a wizard and God shall give him blood to drink," which he did several years later. It also explores the lesser known facts, as well, that state the location of the witch's bodies today, still in a rock crevice beneath Gallows Hill. Hill also adeptly reports on the imprisonment of Dorothy Good (aka Dorcas Good), a four year old, and the abuse that she suffered at the hands of the "law" at the time.

I am very grateful for this book, it inspired me and kept me steady in the early days of my writing On Gallows Hill. I highly recommend it for a factual yet entertaining tour through Salem's dark past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Delusion of Satan.