Natasha's Reviews > The Idiot

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

F 50x66
Feb 19, 09

930 pages of nonsense. A lot of worthless writing in this book that doesn't lend itself to plot or character, but rather seems long rants of personal views of the author. Story & plotline is really wanting and not at all strong. Not great character descriptions, and leaves a lot of storyline out to include all the rants. If I could only ever put down a book I've started this wouldn't have made it past the first chapter, but I keep reading thinking surely it will get better.....alas it doesn't, and spoiler alert: The book ends right where it begins, and for no apparent reason, which is really maddening after 930 pages. Don't bother with this classic.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Idiot.

message 1: by 3point14 (new)

3point14 9 lines of nonsense ...

Arlene I like you could never put a book down once I started it, but as I get older I keep thinking of the great books I could be reading thats why I did not finish "The Idiot"

Pedro Rodriguez I understand that you did not enjoy the book. But to say that the character description was not up to par is ridiculous. If Dostoyevsky is known for anything its for his description of his characters.

Amyjzed I think the characters in The Idiot are described sufficiently. In The Brothers K, though, there seems less and less physical description, and more and more discussion of philosophic ideas. I don't think clear and concise plot and character development is necessarily his aim. I guess it depends what you're looking for in a reading experience.

Stephen I totally agree, you keep thinking that the book will probably get interesting at some point, but it doesn't. Brothers Karamzov at least gets interesting after 2-300 pages.

This book has been quoted as one of Dostoevsky's greatest works by some, and as his greatest literary failure by others

Svetlana This book is ALL about character, the choices we make and people we harm. It is not your action-movie-type book, it involves thinking and empathy and a bit of crying, too