Monk's Reviews > Small Gods

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Nov 23, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, world_builders
Read in January, 2003

This is the only Terry Pratchett book I've ever really been able to stomach. I've always found it odd that the stories of Discworld fail to strike home with me. I've tried to read several (Mort, The Color of Magic, Hogfather) and none have struck me enough within the first forty pages to keep reading.

This is the exception to the rule.

It covers the story of a forgotten god of the Discworld universe: the Great Turtle. Everyone knows about the Four Elephants holding up the great disc of the world, but most have forgotten that upon which the Elephants stride. All that is about to change when the Great Turtle speeks to a dimwitted monk and begins to preach the gospel of Discworld in a whole new light.

The book is laugh out loud funny and better yet it requires absolutely NO understanding of the rest of the Discworld series to enjoy (despite the presence of Death, who is a recurrent character in most Discworld novels, who has its own individual hangups).

Let there be lettuce. Low hanging lettuce.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Gods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Plch ...actually, the great turtle is not the same as the tortoise that starts speaking to Bruta... but I'm glad you liked the book

Santoso Pick is right. The great turtle that holds the discworld is A'Toin. The tortoise in the book is the Great God Om.

Lorraine Have you tried any of the City / Night Watch books like "Men At Arms" or "Feet of Clay" (there are a few city watch book prior to these, but the two mentioned are probably the most beloved)

Drew I would also suggest the Watch novels. The thing about Pratchett is that if you don't like one series you may end up loving another.

Graham I tend to find it usually takes 50 pages before a discworld becomes interesting.