Lani's Reviews > Clapton

Clapton by Eric Clapton

Feb 20, 09

bookshelves: biography, music, non-fiction
Recommended for: Clapton fans, my dad
Read in February, 2009

I like classic rock and grew up on it, but books like this always leave me baffled. Lots of name dropping that I just can't follow. It's not gratuitous name-dropping or anything, it's just meaningless praise for people that I can't associate with anything at all. It's a little embarrassing for me, that's all.

I do like and respect Clapton as a musician, though I am clearly incredibly ignorant. He's pretty willing to address his mistakes, and while his sobriety gets a little irritating and preaching at times, I still respect him for it.

I was totally shocked by his most recent wife and his current family life, but I can't really begrudge him what seems to be a happy family and stable life. Seems that he's due.

If anything, he seemed almost TOO humble. Clapton IS God in guitar rock mythos, and he spends so much time praising others it becomes difficult to believe that this guy is anything special at all.

There were a few music industry stories, but mostly the book focused on Clapton's life and exploits. I probably would have appreciated it more if I had followed his career more closely, but it was still a decent read. I'll pass it on to my dad since I think he'll enjoy it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clapton.