Cristal (Professional Book Procrastinator)'s Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Dec 13, 12

liked it
Recommended for: Historical Fiction/Fantasy Fans
Read from December 01 to 10, 2012

Review originally posted on The Life & Times Book Blog

I fell in love with the cover of the book. It reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood wandering through the forest, which is one of the fairy tales this book recreates in a new way that and Robin Hood. Princess of the Silver Woods is the third book in the Princess series by Jessica Day George. This particular story centers on Petunia, who is the youngest out of her twelve sisters.

While traveling to visit the Grand Duchess Volenskaya's estate their coach is seized by the Wolves of Westfalian Woods. Petunia may be young, but she carries a gun on her for protection and uses it to gain her freedom from the bandits...for the moment.

In their kingdom there is a new King Under Stone. When the King's father used to reign, a curse fell upon the twelve sisters that forced them to dance for King Under Stone each night at the midnight balls.. The sisters were able to free themselves from the curse, but now the son of King Under Stone has taken the throne and is eager to prove that he is just as strong if not more than his father was. He is desperate to save his crumbling kingdom. And he believes he knows the only way to save it.

When Petunia eventually makes it to the Grand Duchess Volenskaya's estate she realizes that things are not always what they appear to be and danger can come in many forms.
This was a cute story and I had fun reading it. I wasn't sure what to expect since it was a retelling of Robin Hood and Red Riding Hood, but I think Jessica Day George did a good job. I got caught up in a world filled with a rich historical setting, beautiful princesses, bad guys, good guys, and a magical curse. I liked it. Fairytales are always entertaining to read, no matter what age you are.

** I received this book from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books/Netgalley in exchange for nothing, but my honest review. Thank you!**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.