Merritt's Reviews > Kilmeny of the Orchard

Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery

Jul 08, 09

2 1/2 Stars. This was a sweet little story. Fairly predictable, and fairly well written. It had some great plot twist things. But, sadly, there were some major drawbacks.

#1. I felt kind of annoyed that everything ended SO perfectly and SO coincidentally and everything was fixed SO perfectly happily ever after. UGH.

#2. The "Beauty" thing. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind when characters are beautiful. In fact, I like it in fairy tales. Prince Charming never would have met Cinderella and realized how sweet she was if he hadn't thought she was rather pretty first. But, in this book, it was so exaggerated and it really was so focused on it seemed like Eric was only marrying her for that. I can see why she needed to beautiful in order to fit well in the plot, but there were quite a few instances when this just pushed it over the edge. For example, as a direct quote from the book, "'I am sure I could never care for an ugly woman,' said Eric, laughing..." And "Just wait until you see her." That was always his excuse when people questioned why he loved a mute girl. Not MEET her, SEE her.

So it was a very sweet story and a fun read, but these things so overshadowed it that it kind of ruined it for me.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kilmeny of the Orchard.